This 2-year modular programme is aimed at students of German, English, French and Spanish and provides the high-quality translation competence and skills required for careers in translation agencies and in-house translation services in Germany and abroad, in national and international organizations and in the freelance sector.
About the programme
· Mode of attendance: full time
· Duration: 2 yrs
The course modules are designed to meet the needs for highly trained specialized translators in today’s international and globalized market setting. In addition, students are encouraged to attend lectures on translation studies by internationally renowned visiting scholars. The course modules are:
· Foundations of specialized translation including seminars/lectures on translation studies, languages for special purposes (LSP), computer linguistics and terminology
· Tools and methods including seminars/lectures on technical writing, desktop publishing, business practice, management of translation projects, liaison interpreting for translators
· Knowledge base for specialized translation in the fields of science and technology, law and economics
· Specialized translation: scientific and technical translation, legal translation, economic translation and medical translation
After completion of the taught programme, including a compulsory work placement, successful candidates will be admitted to writing their MA dissertations. After successful completion of the dissertation and viva voce examination, the candidates are awarded the MA in Specialized Translation.
· Tuition fees: some 800 EUR per semester
· Start month: October
· Entry requirements: BA university honours degree, preferably with a focus on languages
Applicants should be native speakers (or equivalent standard) of German, English, French or Spanish and should have an excellent knowledge of their chosen languages.
· Deadline for applications: 15 April of each year
· Admission test: 30 May of each year
For further information please contact Prof. Dr. Monika Krein-Kühle, Course Director for the MA in Specialized Translation, ().